A new smartphone designed specifically for young children is landing on UK shores next month.
The Monqi runs on Android 6.0 Marshmallow and comes with the premium features and slick design to appeal to kids.
But crucially the phone has parental controls built in which can’t be deleted, rerouted or turned off.
Parents may want to keep their children away from mobile phones for as long as possible, but smartphones are becoming a standard fact of life.
You may dream of being able to stop your little ones staying up till 3am while they read Snapchat or watch Twitch under the covers.
And knowing what’s easily available within a few clicks puts many parents off phones altogether.
Keep hold with the Monqi app
Controls like quick contact and broadcasting the phone’s location are added to the device’s operating system.
So parents can use the Monqi app on their own phones to take command of the device and curb children’s desire to be online 24/7.
Using the app parents can:
- Approve, and add/edit contacts
- Approve and manage all apps and downloads
- Limit app use, calls, texts and data usage
- Connect safely to internet both when out and about or on WiFi
- Set a schedule so phone features and apps can be limited at specific times of day
- Set geo-fencing and be notified when the child leaves or enters or zone
- Lock and remotely lock the phone, especially if the phone is lost
Some rather shocking figures for children on the internet will terrify the average parent.
Staring at a screen
Monqi say that children aged 5 to 16 spend on average six hours a day in front of a screen, and 75% of all children will encounter totally inappropriate content while surfing the net, watching Youtube or playing games, including nudity, drinking or bad language.
Cyber bullying rife
A whopping 43% of all children have been bullied online. Smartphones and social media are the two platforms most often blamed for where bullying starts.
The Monqi comes from the US and so these figures are based on American research, but the trends are likely accurate for the UK as well.
And this manufacturer has hit upon this potentially game-changing principle. The phone has already won ‘Mumsnet Rated’ accreditation from the popular parenting website.
Monqi tech specs
- 5.0-inch HD display
- 13MP rear camera with auto focus and flash, 5MP front camera
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- 1.5 GHz quad-core processor
- 1 GB RAM memory
- 8GB space plus up to 32GB Micro SD
The Monqi comes out in October 2017 and will be available exclusively through Carphone Warehouse.