Verified images of the new Samsung Galaxy Note 8 have leaked online via the Chinese social media site Weibo.
Picked up by news site BGR, the pictures show the latest version of Samsung’s phablet handset, apparently a dummy handset showing all the external specs we can expect in the 23 August launch.
The Note 8 replaces the Note 7 after a torrid and abortive existence for the beleaugured device.
The Note 7 was supposed to kickstart Samsung’s 2016 as the business faltered with pressure on its flagship lines from premium rival Apple, and faced more competition from budget Chinese Android phones.
Days after launch users reported faulty batteries which caught on fire.
The resulting viral videos of charred phones caused a PR nightmare for Samsung and ultimately forced the Korean manufacturer to recall handsets at a cost of £3bn.
What specs are we expecting?
Early reports suggest the Note 8 will sport a 6.3-in Super AMOLED display with a widecreen 18.5:9 aspect ratio, similar to the S8.
It’ll be powered by a hefty 6GB of RAM and come with 64GB or 128GB of internal storage with the option of further 256GB expansion via microSD card.
The leaked pictures reveal, as expected, dual rear-facing cameras with 12-megapixel sensors.
– 6.3in 3840×2160 Super AMOLED curved Infinity Display with 18.5:9 ratio
– S Pen support
– Improved iris scanner
– Screen embedded fingerprint scanner
– Built-in ‘Bixby’ AI assistant
– Samsung Exynos 8895 CPU (or Snapdragon 835 in the US), 6GB RAM
– 12MP dual rear-facing camera, 8MP front-facing camera
– USB-C connectivity, 3.5mm headphone jack
– Android 7.0 Nougat
– IP68 certification
– 64GB build-in storage, microSD expansion
– 3,000mAh battery.
– Fast charging, wireless charging support
– Midnight Black, Maple Gold, Orchid Grey and Deep Sea Blue colour options.
EE are confirmed as the first UK mobile provider to offer the Note 8 for contract deals, with the handset-only price expected to be around £899.
Just as OnePlus did with the launch of the iPhone slaying 5, Samsung will livestream a press conference from New York to launch the Note 8, on Saturday 23 August.
The livestream starts at 4pm UK time on the Samsung Unpacked website.